Re: Kernel locks using 2.4.19 and netscape

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:01:05PM +0200, Pilluli wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002, Nick wrote:
>
> > I haven't tried running Netscape, but I've noticed a
> significant number
> >of lockups since I switched to 2.4.19.
>
>    Thanks, it might be a problem with the 2.4.19
> kernel then. In any case my lockups are kind of wierd,
> no Oops or anything like that, trying to open netscape
> and then  no telnet, ssh, then X freezes and finally
> the keyboard locks :-?

huh, mine never took that long. I would be watching xawtv or reading a
web page or email or something (one time it locked up in the middle of
the night with only seti@home running), and the screen would just
freeze. Sound from the TV would continue, but the mouse froze and the
LCD panel's heartbeat stopped. But, when I logged out of X and turned
xdm off, I never noticed a single lockup. That convinced me that the
Nvidia drivers were causing it.

>    I'm able to reproduce the problem so I might try to
> send a bug report to the kernel mailing list.

I could reproduce it; I just knew that it would happen within a few hours.
--
Nick