Re: Installing Debian on a new system

On Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:47:19 +0800 (SGT), Willy Sutrisno
<sutrisno@singnet.com.sg> wrote :
> The system that I plan to buy is:
> Pentium 4 (533MHZ) (2.2GHZ)
> Gigabyte 81GX Motherboard (Embedded Graphic Chip)
> MSI Geforce 4/TI 4200 (128MB)

You need the source drivers from Nvidia's website.

> IBM 60 GXP (60GB)

You are better off with a solution from Maxtor (get the D740X). IBM hard
drives (75GXP and 60GXP) are known to be problematic.
Check the forums at storagereview.com. I've had 2 IBM hdds that have
given me problems.

> Kingston 333MHZ DDR SDRAM (512MB)
> Creative CDRW (40w,12rw,40r)
> Samsung 17" FLAT/756DFX
>
> I have some queries, if this system run on Windoze. It will run
> perfectly. But what if I installed Debian SID, anyone has any bad
> experience > with above hardware?

Stuff that i know will work with Debian SID:

The CD-RW (using scsi emulation), MSI Geforce 4 (with nvidia drivers).
Not sure abt the rest.

> Can I use the 3D ability from GeForce in my linux? I know that nVidia
> provide the driver, can anyone share their experience using nVidia >
> driver?

Nvidia drivers have never given me much problems. Even when i swapped
the card from a TNT2 to a Geforce DDR, everything works without any
recompilations and reconfigurations. YMMV though.

> Does linux will know my embedded graphic chip from my motherboard?

You might need the latest XFree86.

--
Regards,

Jeremy Tan