Re: No parallel support in Cups?

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 09:29:08PM -0400, David P James wrote:
> Mark Roach wrote:
> >On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 09:14, Russ Pitman wrote:
> >
> >>It appears that parallel printer support has been omitted from the current
> >>versions in both stable and sid.
> >

> >I just upgraded to the cups from sid on monday (1.1.14-3) and it is
> >working fine on my parport printer, so I don't think that is where the
> >problem lies. I'm afraid I have no advice for your problem though.
> >
> >-Mark
>
> Careful - that's not what he said. He said that his workstation has cups
> and appears to have kept parallel support through an upgrade. However,
> he now wants to set up a separate server (new install) and he claims
> that it appears not to have parallel support.
>
> Having said that I actually disagree with his claim as I made a fresh
> install of woody not too long ago (6 weeks I guess) and cups did have
> parallel printing support.
>
> I would look into whether the 'lp' module is loaded or not. For
> instance, until I configured a samba client cups wouldn't allow me to
> install a networked printer on a windows box. If it isn't present then
> load it, restart cups and see what there is to see.
>
> --
> David P. James

Bingo --- Thank you David.

I am running identical kernels on both machines and completely forgot
that I had inserted the lp module in the workstation with modconf ages
ago.

All seems kosher now.

I need to insert a new memory module in the cranium -:))

Regards,
--
 russ
linux.conf.au 2003	  The Australian Linux Technical Conference