Re: No parallel support in Cups?

Mark Roach wrote:
On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 09:14, Russ Pitman wrote:

It appears that parallel printer support has been omitted from the current
versions in both stable and sid.

I just upgraded to the cups from sid on monday (1.1.14-3) and it is
working fine on my parport printer, so I don't think that is where the
problem lies. I'm afraid I have no advice for your problem though.

-Mark

Careful - that's not what he said. He said that his workstation has cups and appears to have kept parallel support through an upgrade. However, he now wants to set up a separate server (new install) and he claims that it appears not to have parallel support.

Having said that I actually disagree with his claim as I made a fresh install of woody not too long ago (6 weeks I guess) and cups did have parallel printing support.

I would look into whether the 'lp' module is loaded or not. For instance, until I configured a samba client cups wouldn't allow me to install a networked printer on a windows box. If it isn't present then load it, restart cups and see what there is to see.

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV