Re: libncurses4 in stable (woody)?

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 01:19:53PM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> Just reloaded Woody from CD (cheapbytes!) on a new system (my PC got
> refreshed so I had no choice).
>
> I have some old apps which use libncurses.so.4 which are failing, and I
> can't find any libncurses4 package in Woody... where'd it go?  There are
> a number of older apps which still use it, and I don't see any serious
> bugs against it--was it omitted on purpose (why?) or was this just an
> oversight?

I think it was mostly just an oversight:

ncurses4.2 (4.2-10) unstable; urgency=low

  * Re-upload for legacy programs.
    - This library should not be used with priviledged programs; it has not
      been audited.
  * Remove libncurses4-dev package.
  * Restrict architectures to those present in potato; several others are
    known not to build and this package is only for legacy purposes.

 -- Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>  Fri,  5 Jul 2002 10:05:36 -0400

> Anyway, what's the best way forward; I guess I should download the
> package I see is in testing now?  Or would using the old potato .deb be
> a better bet?

You should be able to pick either. 4.2-10 in testing is probably a
better bet right now.