CUPS system stopping during print

I dumped bsd printing for cups when I upgraded to woody several months
ago.

All was well until I recently upgraded to kernel 2.4.19.  There have been
no hardware or configuration changes.  I now find that print jobs through
cups print the first 1/4" inch of the page and stop on my Epson 900.  I
also periodically update using delect from "security" so it is possible
that changes are library related too.

If I use gs to make a file with stcolor device, I can cat the file to
/dev/lp0 and it prints with no problem.

I tried both interrupt driven and polling options to parport_pc with
similar behavior.

I'm out of things to try . . . any suggestions?