Re: OT: Digital camera, SanDisk, and Debian

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:57:08PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> 6X optical zoom, 2.5 digital
> 3x optical zoom, 2.5 digital
6x is clearly better. I guess the cam is a bit bigger and heavier.

> movie clips with audio (10fps)
> movie clips with audio (20fps)

Personnaly I find the video capability unuseful. The result is a very
small movie. And depending on the RAM in the cam, the movie is also very
short. So for me 10fps or 20 makes no difference.

> SmartMedia
> CompactFlash
No preference. Both have similar performance and same price.

> Macro focus capability (10cm)
> Macro focus capability (16cm)
It depends if you plan to use it or not.

> audio/video out
That's very important. I appreciate, after a good day with friend taking
a lot of picture, to watch them on the TV. The canon has a diaporame
mode so you only have to plug it and lauch the diaporama.
It's strange if the fuji has not this capability, are you sure ?

> I like the 6x zoom, but wonder how useful that really is. I like the
> audio/video out of the A40, as well as the 20fps rather than 10fps. Does
> anyone know if either company (Canon or Fuji) is more friendly toward
> Linux than the other. All other things being equal, I'd rather buy the
> one from the more Linux-friendly vendor. (BTW, Bruce Perens, if you
> should ever get this, convince HP to put "Linux Compatible, but not
> supported" on their printer boxes, and I'll buy one.)

The Canon A40 is supported by gphoto2. That doesn't mean that they are
Linux-friendly. That said they are dominant on the market IMHO so the
support is good.

The Fuji 2800z is a mass storage device. So you use the usb-storage
kernel driver and then can mount your plugged cam has a scsi
fat-formated device.

For me good criteria to buy a cam include :
. form factor (do you want a small or full-featured cam ?)
. time to take a picture (my IXUS v is a bit slow and in an obscure room
it can take very long for the cam to get enough light and you can't
force it)

Christophe