No parallel support in Cups?

It appears that parallel printer support has been omitted from the current
versions in both stable and sid.

I have had cups running on my workstation for several months,It has not
any config changes since the original install and uses /dev/lp0.

Now I am setting up another machine and I cannot get the install, either
from the command line or the web interface, to accept any attempt to use
the parallel port.

This is the output of lpinfo -v on my workstation with cupsys-1.1.15-2
installed via apt-get update, probably preserved because it existed
prior to the updating.
-----------------------------------
network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct canon:/dev/lp0
direct epson:/dev/lp0
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
direct scsi
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS2?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS3?baud=115200
------------------------------------

This is the output of lpinfo -v on the new install of unstable with
either cupsys-1.1.14-3 or -1.1.15-2 installed.

----------------------------------
network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct scsi
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS2?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS3?baud=115200
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp1
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp2
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp3
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp4
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp5
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp6
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp7
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp8
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp9
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp10
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp11
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp12
--------------------------------------
What I want to do is set up the woody machine up as a mail and print
server and print from the workstation through the network instead of
using a manual parallel switch setup but I don't want to be caught not
being able to access the printer at all with cups if I accidentally
have to reinstall .

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

--
 russ
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference