Re: OT: Digital camera, SanDisk, and Debian

Kent West wrote:

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:04:37AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
Off-topic, but who better to ask than you folks?

I'm interesting in getting a digital camera. I figure the 2.x Megapixel $200-$300 variety will be fine for my needs. I know next to nothing about these little critters. Whereas I'd like to plug the camera directly into my Debian box (2.4 kernels, Sid), I'm not opposed to getting a card reader of some sort. I saw a SanDisk ImageMate for $30 that reads both CF and SM cards. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Before I take the plunge, does anyone want to weigh in with their opinion as to what to avoid, what to get, what to watch out for, etc? I'd appreciate the input.

Okay, I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to two:

Fuji FinePix 2800 Zoom
--------------------------------
6X optical zoom, 2.5 digital
movie clips with audio (10fps)
SmartMedia
Macro focus capability (10cm)

Canon Powershot A40
$100 cheaper than Fuji
3x optical zoom, 2.5 digital
movie clips with audio (20fps)
CompactFlash
Macro focus capability (16cm)
audio/video out

I like the 6x zoom, but wonder how useful that really is. I like the audio/video out of the A40, as well as the 20fps rather than 10fps. Does anyone know if either company (Canon or Fuji) is more friendly toward Linux than the other. All other things being equal, I'd rather buy the one from the more Linux-friendly vendor. (BTW, Bruce Perens, if you should ever get this, convince HP to put "Linux Compatible, but not supported" on their printer boxes, and I'll buy one.)

Thanks!

Kent