Re: Modem Gateway

I am sorry to ask about this again but I had removed shh from the gateway
machine. I had read somewhere that "if you don't use it remove it".
( Oh Boy the water sure is deep at this end of the pool! )
The internal machine is Woody, Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 and I like it!

Would it be difficult to insert diald back into the modem gateway machine?
I have found some instructions but they refer to ipmasq.

Would it be better to install shh on the modem gateway machine?

Kind Regards
Dan Hunt

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 13:30, Dan wrote:
> I am using pon and poff at the modem gateway keyboard. Would it be possible
> to run these commands from the internal machine?
>
> I tried to reinstall diald ( demand dial ) but it clashed with the iptables
> and the internet quit working.

If the internal machine is Linux then

ssh root@192.168.0.1 pon

should do the trick from inside. with

ssh root@192.168.0.1 poff

to switch it off.

If its Windows, have a look at TerraTerm with the ssh extension ttssh.
There are other free ssh terminals for windows. I hear good reports
about putty. From these you can log into the gateway and run commands
remotely.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington