Re: how to read a .msg file

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 01:29:25PM -0700, Jeff wrote:
| Shri Shrikumar, 2002-Aug-06 20:05 +0100:
| > On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 18:34, Jeff wrote:
| > > I've got a few .msg files that I need to read, but I can't figure out
| > > how to read them without moving them to an MS machine.  I'm googling
| > > around and I haven't found anything yet.  I also found and looked at
| > > goldedplus, but couldn't seem to make it do what I wanted...it
| > > probably doesn't do what I'm want though.
| > >
| > > Any suggestions?
| > >

| > From what I remember, an msg file is just the email source, try opening
| > it up with less.
|
| That was the first thing I tried and it reads as binary.
|
| $ less testing.msg
| "testing.msg" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

less will say that for any file containing characters with the eigth
bit set.  If the MIME headers say so, then that is legal in email.

^@ is the ASCII character NUL (0x0)

| I went ahead and moved the files to an MS system and read them using
| Outlook, but I'd like to figure out how to do this under Debian for
| future occurances.

Was any part of the file recognizable?  If so then you may have some
hope in extracting useful data from it.  Otherwise you need to figure
out what the data format is and either find a decoder or write one
yourself.

HTH,
-D

--