Re: update-alternatives problem

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 04:09:47 +0800 csj <csj@mindgate.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 01:27:14 +0100
> Carlos Sousa <csousa@tvtel.pt> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, just came to me that you could symlink /usr/bin/jemacs to
> > point to your script, and leave the alternatives system intact. Your
> > script would then call a symlink called "jemacs" (placed in your ~/,
> > for instance), which would point to joe.
> >
> >     editor -(ln)-> jemacs -(ln)-> myscript -(call)-> ~/jemacs
> >     -(ln)-> joe.
> >
> > Just re-link /usr/bin/jemacs whenever you upgrade the joe package.
>
> Yes, that was one of the workarounds I thought of. I feel the
> alternatives system could use something like that. Instead of relinked
> symlinks, a simple script containing something like "exec `which
> editor`" would be installed and changed every time the user decides to
> change alternatives. A simple call to sed s/oldprog/newprog/ the
> script should do the trick.

I agree. This seems important enough to file a bug against dpkg (the
package that provides the update-alternatives program), with a severity
of "minor" (above "wishlist" anyway) on the grounds that it does not
provide the expected funcionality when dealing with alternatives that
are symlinks themselves.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/