Re: how to read a .msg file

Shri Shrikumar, 2002-Aug-06 20:05 +0100:
> On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 18:34, Jeff wrote:
> > I've got a few .msg files that I need to read, but I can't figure out
> > how to read them without moving them to an MS machine.  I'm googling
> > around and I haven't found anything yet.  I also found and looked at
> > goldedplus, but couldn't seem to make it do what I wanted...it
> > probably doesn't do what I'm want though.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >

> From what I remember, an msg file is just the email source, try opening
> it up with less.

That was the first thing I tried and it reads as binary.

$ less testing.msg
"testing.msg" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?

When I answer yes, I see a bunch of highlighted characters like "^@".

I went ahead and moved the files to an MS system and read them using
Outlook, but I'd like to figure out how to do this under Debian for
future occurances.

thanks,
jc

--