Re: is booting (a SW RAID1) from a second IDE controller possible?

I missed the beginning of this thread, so I could be
missing the point entirely, but it is possible to boot
from a software RAID setup on a second IDE controller.
I setup a Promise ata133 ide controller with 2 drives
attached in RAID1 configuration -- system boots fine.
In the kernel configuration, in the ATA/IDE/...
section, select the "Boot off-board chipsets first".
You should read the help; you'll want to add an
"ide=reverse" parameter to LILO. Also, depending on
whether you're using a disk in the RAID configuration
that already boots or not, you may have to edit
/etc/fstab as well (you will later anyway, to get the
RAID setup). Sorry if this doesn't address the
original question.