Re: Debian 3.0 r0 and VM Ware

Doug MacFarlane wrote:

> Team:
>
> I was tossing about the idea of installing VM Ware so I could avoid dual-booting
> for the balance of my dis-assimilation from the MSorg . . .
>
> Debian is not one of "supported" Linux distributions, but I have heard many
> references to it here, so I assume that one can run it anyway . . .
>
> Regardless, what are the issues?  Do I grab an RPM and run some kind of RPM
> to .DEB conversion utilitiy?  Do I grab the source and run ./configure or
> make install (from the olden days before packages when Unix sysadmins were
> real sysadmins and understook compiler options better than programmers eventhough
> they couldn't read or write a lick of code . . . )?
>
> TIA
>
> madmac
>
> --
> Doug MacFarlane
> madmac@covad.net

For Debian, you want to install using the tar.gz version, not the rpm
version. If you do, it installs quite cleanly.

You do have to have the kernel source installed for the exact kernel
version you're running, since VMware needs it to compile it's modules
during the configuration.

VMware's instructions pretty much cover what you need to know...

Tom