Re: Oops. 1 Gig Recommendation 2nd try.

> I wouldn't use either KDE or gnome on that kind of machine.
> I set my sister up with Dual P2-233 with 384MB of ram and KDE and
> gnome were barely useable. I replaced it with a P3-500 with 512MB
> of ram and they are just a bit more barely useable. I need
> a somewhat snappy interface so i use afterstep. xfce as another
> mentioned is pretty good too, though blackbox will probably
> be much leaner.. I can't imagine running X on 16MB.. my

I ran potato on a 486 with about that amount of ram.  It can be very usable if you choose the right window manager and applications.  I wouldn't recommend xfree86 4.x as v3.3x seemed to be much leaner.  Icewm is nice, simple option although I prefer fluxbox (xfce and afterstep are nice too).  Apps such as Mozilla and OpenOffice are pretty much out of the question due to swapping.  The original poster really should have a swapfile of at least 32mb, probably 64mb or more just to be safe.