Re: OT: laser printers

> I've looked around a little for different cheap $100-$300 USD lasers, and
> now I would like to know how  much support there is for the different
> brands.

A caveat for anyone coming to LinuxPrinting.org's write-up of the HP
LaserJet 1200: unique among HP's range of 1200dpi PostScript printers, it
requires "Photo-Resolution Enhancement" (aka "REt") to print truetype fonts
at full optical resolution.

The .ppd file used for this (as provided by HP-SourceForge) works perfectly
with OpenOffice and StarOffice.

In KDE apps, however, rendering's noticeably cruder. In fact the printed
rendering of truetypes is identical regardless of whether the printer's been
configured through the .ppd or as a generic PS Level 2 device -- something
I've noticed in both SuSE and Mandrake.

Michael