Re: GRUB vs LILO

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 02:54:14PM +0200, Romuald DELAVERGNE wrote:
> Le 2002.08.05 07:18, Kent West a ?crit :
> >I tried GRUB tonight for the first time. I'm not sure that I see any
> >great value of it over LILO. However, if that's going to be the wave of
> >the future, I might as well get started with it. So, my question: Are
> >there plans for Debian to adopt GRUB as the preferred boot loader in the
> >future?
>
> I think GRUB is better.
> Its only disadvantage compared to lilo, it is that it is filesystem
> dependant.

Interestingly, in my opinion this is also its biggest advantage.  I like
knowing that I can boot from any kernel I want to, regardless of whether I
told grub about it prior to rebooting.  So barring any truly serious errors
in menu.lst (such as a bad kernel combined with no waiting time), you can
always boot (unless you delete your last bootable kernel...).  On my laptop
with no CDROM or floppy, this is a serious consideration.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/