Re: packages "held back" ?

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 08:46:23AM -0400, stan wrote:
>  I've noticed lately on my testing/unstable systems that when I don an
>  apt-get upgrade, I;m geting various packes that are "held back".
>
>  What's this all about?

Part of apt-get(8):

  upgrade is used to install the newest versions of  all  packages
  currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
  /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages  currently  installed  with  new
  versions  available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circum-
  stances are currently installed packages  removed,  or  packages
  not  already  installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
  currently installed packages that  cannot  be  upgraded  without
  changing  the  install status of another package will be left at
  their	current version. An update must be performed first so that
  apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

If a package is not upgraded, it is held back. Packages are also held
back if dependencies cannot be met (eg. depended upon package version
not yet available).

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com