www.gag-bioscience.de

Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net>
Sent by: Nate Bargmann <nate@trillian.adns.de>

05.08.02 13:27

        To:        debian-user@lists.debian.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: GRUB vs LILO

* Patrick Kirk <patrick@kirks.net> [2002 Aug 05 06:09 -0500]:
> Be warned.  If you need emergency access to your system, all the usual
> suggestions about entering 'Linux emergency' or 'single' or even '1' at
> the boot prompt do _not_ work with grub.  With grub, you have to learn the
> syntax and its no walk in the park.  In my case it proved easier to open
> the case and pull the second IDE cable to force Debian to grant me root
> access before running init scripts.

Fair point.

I did a system update about the time I started playing with GRUB back in
February.  I had performed a dd from my old 4GiB HD to a new 40GiB
drive.  All went well (I was following the HOWTO) except LILO couldn't
handle the new drive's geometry being run from the old drive.  Long
story short, a GRUB diskette (on 3.5" floppy) allowed me to boot the
system to the 40GiB drive and then once LILO was run, happiness was
restored.

Iv'e opted to use GRUB now, particularly for a couple of machines I'm
building for less experienced users.  I figure the colorized menu that
pops up is much more friendly than the LILO text one must remember to
hit Ctrl right after it appears.

I'd like to play with some of GRUB's more advanced features and will do
so when time permits.  I haven't broken my box in a while as Testing has
just been too Stable lately.  ;-)

- Nate >>

--
Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and