Re: /etc/hosts

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 01:13:49AM +1000, Andrew Nesbit wrote:
> Prescott Smith <prescott@interlinklc.net> writes:

> > >Change this to:
> > >
> > >127.0.0.1 localhost <machine name>.clara.co.uk <machine name>
>
> The FQDN should come first, the aliases second onwards, like so
>
> 127.0.0.1 <machine name>.clara.co.uk <machine name> localhost
>
> should it not?

>From the Network Administrator's Guide:
----------------------------
The hosts file contains one entry per line, consisting of an IP
address, a hostname, and an optional list of aliases for the
hostname. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs, and the address
field must begin in the first column. Anything following a hash sign
(#) is regarded as a comment and is ignored.

Hostnames can be either fully qualified or relative to the local
domain.

Regards.
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet
      not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I
      now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son
      of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
                               Galatians 2:20