Re: xserver-xfree86 : mouse not working

ramans@iitg.ernet.in wrote:

Hi all!!

I had installed debian testing. I was surprised to see the abnormal behaviour of the mouse. The mouse was active for the first time gdm was run. But it was out of control. In order to make the things working, I tried reconfiguring xserver-xfree86 but doing so proved to be just oppposite of what I expected, now the mouse pointer was not visible. I had connected it /dev/psaux port with mouse type as PS/2.

I had tried all the hooks after that like installing gpm, changing mouse ports & mouse types but all my attempts went in vain. More over, I tried to remover xserver-xfree86 & then reinstall. The mdetect program could not detect the mouse. More over on running mdetect on the prompt for the first time, it gave a message ( probably an error) "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7." But on running mdetect program, no message was shown. I am unable to figure out the exceptional behaviour of mouse, X environment & mdetect.

I hope someone will help me out of this problem. I have wasted almost two days after this problem. More over, I could not find any reply in the mailing list archives. Please give some suggestions so that I am able to work in graphical environment.

Thanks in advance.
Shree

Does the mouse work properly in the console?

If so, configure it to repeat as "raw" and set your XF86Config-4 file to look for the mouse on /dev/gpmdata. Make sure the type is the same in both files (/etc/gpm.conf and /etc/X11/XF86Config-4).

If not, get it working properly in console (via gpmconfig), then do the above.

Kent