Re: I forgot the root password, can not maintain my machine.

Tom Cook <tom.cook@adelaide.edu.au> [2002-08-04 11:29:28 +0930]:
> Once you have a root shell, why edit /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow at
> all?  Why not just use passwd to change the password?

Actually that would work fine.  Since / is still the same / everything
matches up.  Good observation.

When using a rescue boot disk you can't normally do that since now /
is the rescue system and not your normal root.  In that case usually
your normal / is actually /target or wherever you decided to mount it.
In that case it has been easiest to edit the files directly.  Although
there is nothing intrinsically wrong with getting 'passwd' to somehow
work natively on a redirected root.

Bob