Re: box freezes after upgrade to woody

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 03:35:36PM -0500, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
> This problem seems way beyond my experience so I'm running out of
> suggestions here.
>
> Look in /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog and /var/log/debug to start
> with. Try and see if there is a warning/error message that was written
> just before the system hung (it useful to run an xterm that has tail
> -f on these files).

I had a look at those files, and I can't find anything that seems
wrong :(.

> Also, try memtest86 (as opposed to memtest) because it runs
> independent of Linux or any other OS.

Ok, I'll give that a try, prolly it will hang the system.  If have the
time I will reinstall the box (it's just a home pc) with woody.  If it
seems that the fresh installed woody has the same problems I will have
to go to potato...

I can't bring up the courage to compile a new kernel as it will just
hang the box and I hate compiling kernels (for home pc's).

Thanks for your advice anyway.

Rudy
--
Rudy Gevaert - rudy@zeus.rug.ac.be  - http://www.zeus.rug.ac.be
keyserverID=24DC49C6 -  http://www.webworm.org

We all agree that your theory is crazy, but is it crazy enough?
 - Niels Bohr (1885-1962)