Re: problem: gtk(?)apps running extrem slowly/xserver-problem(?)

On Saturday 03 August 2002 14:38 pm, Burkhard Ritter wrote:
> hallo.
>
> i have problems with two gtk-applications. they are gimp and
> xcdroast. both run very slowly  while some processes. so for example
> gimp needs one and a half minute to start up. then it runs with
> normal speed. while running so slowly my xserver (4.1/2 or so)
> consumes 99 percent of my cpu-power. other gtkapps have not this
> problem, but perhabs they use other widgets, perhabs the problem is
> not gtk related. i don't know.
>
> i think this strange problem came with my update to xfree 4.x. i also
> load all (i think) extensions(modules). what could be the reason?

At least twice in the last few days I have seen the same behavior
running konqueror in KDE  2.2.   My system is woody, running
xserver-xfree8 4.1.0-16.  Someone else recently reported similar
behavior in KDE 3 on a KDE list.  At the time I thought it was a KDE
problem.  I'm starting to wonder if it's an X 4 problem.

--
Bud Rogers  <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.