problem: gtk(?)apps running extrem slowly/xserver-problem(?)

hallo.

i have problems with two gtk-applications. they are gimp and
xcdroast. both run very slowly  while some processes. so for example gimp
needs one and a half minute to start up. then it runs with normal
speed. while running so slowly my xserver (4.1/2 or so) consumes 99
percent of my cpu-power. other gtkapps have not this problem, but perhabs
they use other widgets, perhabs the problem is not gtk related. i don't
know.

i think this strange problem came with my update to xfree 4.x. i also
load all (i think) extensions(modules). what could be the reason?

my system is a intel pentium with 450 mhz and 128 mb memory.

any help would be very welcome.

burkhard
--
burkhard ritter