Re: Making debs..

    > Am Samstag, 3. August 2002 09:22 schrieb marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp:
    >> Otherwise, I don't think there is a way to automate it.
    >> Build-dependancies are kind of a pain in the ass according to
    >> my limited exprience with them.

    > I never experienced to build the dependencies of a package
    > without a debian directory.

Well, my limited experience with building packages was trying to build
a new version of gnomemeeting that hadn't made it through the
buildd servers.  I couldn't wait, so I tried to build it my self.
Sometimes even developers and maintainers don't know exactly what
build-dependancies there are, since you have all these libraries that
you always use, you don't know what is exactly necessary.  And since
you have a configure script, you don't always look.  So sometimes the
build-depends in the debian directory are incomplete.

That's the thing, probably with being a maintainer (I'm not one...).
You get the source from upstream and add the debian stuff to it.
Since usually there is a configure script, most of the depends are
caught, if you don't have the libraries on your computer.  But few
people have completely pristine installs, so sometimes a library that
you already have on is a dependancy, so the configure script
automatically finds it and the maintainer doesn't find it.

and I'm starting to get incoherent.  Ask me again in the morning.  ^_^

    > Did you try checkinstall? auto-apt is an interesting tool too.
    > But if you want to compile programs without a ./configure script
    > you probably run in trouble.

I haven't looked at them.  I will, once I get more into things.  I
still haven't build a big enough project to even warrent make yet...

Marshal