GTK+ fonts broken/not working

Please help,

I have a problem which I think is GTK+ related (but I may be wrong).

xcdroast & the GIMP display correctly apart from rendering text.

I get the title of the window, but buttons, widgets, etc. are not filled in.

In xcdroast the title of the main window and the "hover" help text is the
only text displayed. Buttons hi-light as you roll the mouse over them, but
contain no text.

In the GIMP the text for the file menu is not displayed, nor are the options
to the left, but the contol-N and control-O text the to right are.

If you select Control-O then the load file dialogue is displayed, the
dialogue title is rendered, the contents of the list-boxes are rendered and
the title of the "Load Options" frame is displayed. No other text is
rendered.

I've turned OFF xfs, as a friend had a problem with fonts where the built-in
font server and xfs were conflicting, but this has not improved matters.

xterm, xfontsel work as expected.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Matthew