Help getting sound working

Hi all-

I am a new debian user and I just installed  v.3 off a
net install CD.  After getting KDE installed and
running (Wahooo !) I discovered that my sound wasnt'
working.  To make a long story short I installed a new
kernel that had the necessary modules and selected the
module using modconf.  Now when I log in (using kdm)
as root I get sound.  However when I log in as a
normal user I get an error that says "oould not open
/dev/dsp (permission denied)"

This leads me to believe there is some kind of
permissions problem.  Anyone got any suggestions ???

Short list of details-

Set up is pretty vanilla, just installed from net
install CD and then added KDE desktop environment and
X server and the full 386 2.2.20 kernel image using
dselect.

kernel = 2.2.20
sound card = sound blaster live

Cheers,