Re: alternative motd and logo?

Davide Inglima - limaCAT wrote:

> On Thursday 01 August 2002 19:58, Craig Dickson wrote:
>
> >> Mandatory schmandatory. "Credit where credit is due" is enough of a
> >> reason to insist that it be called by it's true name: "Debian
> >> GNU/Linux". Debian is far more than just Linux. My hat's off to the GNU
> >> project, and if you think you owe them nothing (or that avoiding giving
> >> them credit is something desirable/admirable) you are deluding yourself
> >> (and probably only yourself).
>
> > I agree completely. Anyone who doesn't care for the term "GNU/Linux"
> > should try running a Linux system without any GNU components.
>
> I Think they should also be made to administer a Solaris system without
> any GNU component as well :)

It might not be pleasant, but it's possible. I believe Sun have their
own C library, compiler, and shells, none of which are GNU or GPL
software. In comparison, you can't run any Linux distro I know of
without GNU's C library. The GNU environment is integral to Linux
distros in a way that just isn't true of Solaris or the *BSD Unixes.

Craig