Re: Upgrade from testing to stable by CD

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:02:32PM +0100, Tim Boregard wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >I think you've got a broken CD. Where did you get it?
>
> I was worried you'd say that!
>
> The seven CDs were downloaded from UK.debian.org on the 25th & 26th.  I
> wonder if there were changes overnight, causing this problem.

If any packages changed, the version number really should have changed
too.

How did you download the CDs? jigdo, or direct download of an .iso?
jigdo automatically verifies the checksum of the image after generating
it. There should be MD5 checksums around for the raw .isos - e.g.
<http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian-cd/3.0_r0/i386/MD5SUMS>.

> The md5sum of that file is different to that listed in md5sum.txt in
> the top directory of the CD, as are others.  It appears that the
> checksums on other CDs are correct.  I'm not an expert in using
> md5sum-what is the syntax to use to compare all the files on a CD to
> those in that md5sum.txt file?

MD5summing the whole CD image and comparing with the file above should
be good enough, but I guess you'd want something like 'md5sum -c
md5sum.txt'. Make sure your current directory is such that all the
relative paths in md5sum.txt match up.