Re: Xfree86

familia Covis wrote:

Hello

I installed Debian Woody on my 486.  I have been unable to get
XWindows working inspite of several days of effort.

Hardware:
i486 w/ 16 meg

16MB - ouch, for X.

40X ide CDROM
Video card chip Cirrus Logic(CL-GD5426) with 1 meg on board mem
Monitor: Falcom model 14s 60/80Hz VGA

I can run XF86Config and everything seems to setup OK but when I run
with startx from the prompt the screen goes blank and no XTERM is displayed.
Every combination I have tried has resulted in the same results.

Run "startx 2> startx.log", and then post the resulting "startx.log" file.

Wait . . . When the screen goes blank, is it a gray hashboard type screen, or black, or what? Does it stay that way or does it drop back to your console?

Kent