Re: apcupsd broken since conversion Debian 2.0 -> 3.0

* Chris Evans (chris1@psyctc.org) wrote:
> I have an APCC SmartUPS 1500 connected to my server with the
> (supplied?) serial cable which was working fine.  I've just realised
> that it's not fine at all with apcupsd anymore and I think the change
> seems to have come about through upgrading to Woody using dselect and
> pointing to Woody.  I haven't rebooted and nothing much else seems
> broken.  No other serial connections nor any need for them so not
> sure how to test.  Error message from the restart of apcupsd is:
>
> Fri Jul 26 18:13:30 BST 2002  apcupsd FATAL ERROR in apcserial.c at
> line 173
> PANIC! Cannot communicate with UPS via serial port.
> Fri Jul 26 18:13:32 BST 2002  apcupsd error shutdown completed
>
> apsupsd.conf is unchanged and points to /dev/ttyS0 as it did before.
> Cable still plugged and screwed in fine and UPS showing green on
> front panel.
>
> Odd.  Anyone else seen this?  Anyone got any advice?
>
> TIA,

I was using woody before I installed my 650, and it has run fine for
me.  My guess is that your configuration file needs attention.  The
man page does not appear to have been altered since November of 1999,
at version 3.4.  Is your previous version older?

The other thing may be whether you actually have the serial port
enabled.  Have you checked that?

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.