Re: Java/Mozilla - serious failure

--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
> Ben Thompson wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm running sid with mozilla 1.0.0-3 and j2re1.3
> apt-getted from the
> >ftp.tux.org blackdown mirror. They were both
> working fine for a few weeks
> >until the other day when web browsing a site with
> java, mozilla suddenly
> >quit. Now every time I try to access a sit which
> has Java, I have problems.
> >Mozilla usually quits immediately. Please could
> anyone suggsest how to find
> >out whats wrong?
> >
> >Thanks, Ben Thompson.
> >

> I had some problems with Java/Moz the other day;
> finally gave up.
> However, during the process, I had moz crash on me
> quite a bit. Each
> time  I had to restore prefs.js from a backup that I
> had in order to get
> Moz to start up again. If you don't have a backup of
> that file, or
> that's not a solution for you, you can move your
> current .mozilla
> directory out of the way (rename it), and then Moz
> should start clean;
> you can then copy over your mail files and bookmarks
> and address books,
> etc, and reset some of your preferences.
>
> hth
>
> Kent

I'm rather appalled at the Java implementation with
Linux.  Here are a list of complaints:

1) Java implementation with Mozilla, Netscape, or
Opera isn't all that easy to accomplish.  Back when I
used (and still occasionally use) Netscape 4.75, one
install did it all, Java included.

2) Java with Mozilla and Opera will only work on a
significantly truncated subset of applet sites.  The
old Netscape 4.75 works much better.

How is it that a few years later, much work, fancier
windows, updated (incessantly) kernels, and newer
browsers, we cannot do what we could easily do back
with old Netscape 4.75?

It has been improved beyond the point of working.