Re: File system with errors, fcsk, GRUB help

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

> Woody in hdb. Root in hdb1. Win 98 in hda.
> The problem is: I really don't dare to run fcsk manually w/o advise. I would
> do it with -p alone, but w/o -p, would like some advise from list.
> Otherwise I will have to reinstall all from scratch.
> But then I would like to install GRUB as boot loader, only I am not very
> sure about the settings, and I know I could easily make win98 unbootable. I
> would not want to mess win98 in hda (This is the way I am communicating
> now!)
> Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Use GRUB is quite safe. You can install grub on a floppy and play with it.
It's quite robust. One thing is important: be sure not install grub or
lilo on the win98 partition(in your case might be hda1) which will result
in damage of the boot sector for win98. It's no problem to install grub or
lilo on a linux partition, but it's meaningless unless you use another
boot loader at MBR. You can always repair MBR of hda by fdisk /mbr for
win98, or reinstall grub or lilo. So don't be afraid to damage MBR, of
course, not the partition table.

Good luck,

Qian