Re: gtk and mozilla slow

At 13:48 Uhr -0300 20.07.2002, Klaus Imgrund wrote:
Hello,

first - I really don't know what I am talking about.
It seems that anything that uses gtk is really slow i.e. sylpheed takes
about 3-4 seconds to come up.On other installs that came up with no
delay at all.
At the same time mozilla and galeon are real slow to render some sites.
I got no idea whether this is related or; it's just the two points I
can't figure out.
Sometimes it take moz and galeon also a real long time to start.The
strange thing is that nothing seems to happen for about 15 secounds -
CPU does nothing at all.
I have libgtk2.05-2 installed - was libgtk2.0.0 no difference.

Hmm, most apps (esp. those in woody) use libgtk1.2. (install deborphan and type 'deborphan libgtk1.2 libgtk2.0-0' or whatever to find out).

Probably it's not gtk+ that's slow but the X server, but that's just a guess.

Some ideas: upgrade everything to woody? Try another X server driver. Upgrade X to 4.2 (i think it's at http://people.debian.org/~branden/sid/ ). Try 'hdparm -u1 -k1'. Look at 'free' to see if you're out of swap space. Upgrade the kernel to something newer like about 2.4.18 or later if you're using 2.4.

Christian.