Re: D-Link DFE-650TX

Mother Lode wrote:
> You say the cards with (+) will not work yet you state
>
> Bob wrote:
> >>The D-Link DFE-650TX+ does not work?  Or the DFE-530TX+ does not work?
> >> I personally have the DFE-530TX+ and it works fine with Linux.
>
> Please clarify!  The card you us is also the card that wont work.  What do
> you mean?

Since I am being quoted I will jump back in.  I was asking a question.
There was no statement about the 650 there.  I don't know anything
about the DFE-650TX.

I did make a statement about the 530.  The DFE-530TX+ works for me.  I
have exactly one and I am using it now.  A friend has several and he
has not reported anything bad about them.  He likes them.

However, in an earlier note Paul wrote:
> I have some DFE=530TX+ that work, and some newer ones that do
> not. At least with my 2.4.18 kernel. Look like it might have
> been possible with 2.2.x kernel. I thought about trying to hack
> the driver, but just threw them in the spare parts box instead.

It is not uncommon for vendors to modify version numbers of the
hardware.  Different versions of the same card might have the same
name but different version numbers as reported by the probe of the pci
slot.  Unless and until the driver is modified to recognize the new
version number it may not be able to recognize the card.  It looks
like D-Link has done this.  (I know that Linksys does that too.)

That can give trouble and has cost me time to update the driver in the
past and struggles to get the network driver functional.  Paul
reported that different manufactured dates of cards worked differently
for him.  I suspect that internel version numbers changed.  Usually
you can modify the driver to match the new version number, recompile
the driver, and keep going.  But that means you have to know a little
bit about C programming in order to modify the driver and make it
work.

I can't remember who asked the original question about the DFE-650TX
(you?) but so far no one has said anything about it specifically.  It
does not sound good from the loudness of the silence.  I would look
for a different card and avoid blazing the trail yourself.

Bob