Re: xf86/bs/delete just checking

(tried sending this through gmane the other day and it never
appeared... watch it pop out of hiding now that I've resent it :)

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Bob Proulx wrote:

> > Did you just install debian on your computer or has it been running
> > for a while?  If you have just installed one of the installation
> > questions is about the keyboard mapping.  One of the answers (at least
> > previously when I was playing with it) was to set up the behavior you
> > described by making "that key" behave like the keypad delete.  At a
> > guess I think you may have done that and now I think you have the
> > wrong keymap installed.
>
> I was just informed that the following will allow you to rerun that
> part of the configuration again.  This would probably be easiest, as
> opposed to the manual method I just proposed.
>
>   dpkg-reconfigure console-common
>
> Bob

Well, I have been using debian for a while, what I did relatively recently
was upgrade to woody

now since my last email on this subject I noticed an error message from
startx, I managed to capture it and it says

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            Can't find file "basic" for types include
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning keytypes file "complete"
>                   Abandoning keytypes file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

now... I seem to be missing the /etc/X11/xkb/basic file which might be
what this is complaining about...

dpkg -L xlibs lists that file as part of that package but when I do a
"apt-get --reinstall install xlibs"  I still don't have that file
afterwards

is that reconfigure thing likely to give me this file?

-Alice