Re: iptables syslog mumbojumbo key?

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 19:55, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 11:13:36AM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

> | MAC: (ethernet) MAC address of source and dest (but this has an unusual
> | format, dunno why: 00:50:ba:7b:4a:1f:00:30:19:73:09:54:08:00 - not sure
> | how to decode this. source and destination MAC are in there, for sure,
> | but there are 2 bytes more.
>
> An ethernet MAC address is given in hex, and looks like
> 00:A0:CC:35:09:AA.  The first few bytes are the vendor's id, the rest
> is "unique" (though I suspect the universe of unique numbers has run
> out, just hope you don't get a duplicate on the same ethernet
> segment).

I think MAC is source and dest MAC concatenated, and some extra info
added (protocol number of the ethernet header?). Or is it source MAC and
a lot of extra info added? I'm quite sure at least one of the MACs is in
there if not both (though I am not sure if you meant to contradict me or
confirm me or what?)

cheers
-- vbi

--