Re: Rescue fails: can't edit fstab (I/O failure)

on Tue, Jul 02, 2002, Anthony Campbell (ac@acampbell.org.uk) wrote:
> I made a change to /etc/fstab which resulted in booting problems; the
> system eventually came back but root was now read-only.
>
> I therefore used a rescue disk to edit /etc/fstab back to what it used
> to be, but some problem occurred with the new file. I deleted it, but I
> can't create a new one; I keep getting I/O errors when I try. If I do ls
> in /etc/ it says that fstab gives an I/O error.
>
> In other words, there seems to be an invisible /etc/fstab file which I
> can't get rid of to replace it with a good one. Is there any way to do
> this?

What editor are you using?  The minimal 'vi' that lives on /bin on an
install system occasionally gets borked.  'ls -a' should show any hidden
files.

You can also try editing a new file, then moving it to /etc/fstab.

Peace.

   NPR:  Radio for between the ears:  http://www.npr.org/