Re: Exim 4.0x

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 03:50:53PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
| What's the plan for moving to Exim 4.0 in debian?

I don't know, but I'm hoping "soon" (with the dlopen patch).

| I assume it will never be in Woody, right?

Right.

| If I'm starting to learn Exim should I read the 4.0 docs or the 3.5x
| and stick with the Debian packages?

I'd go for exim 4.  It is greatly improved, particularly in the area
of the ACLs.  Marc Merlin has some (unofficial) exim 4 packages
available on his site (follow links on the page below).  I can send
you my binaries if you want, but they're not packaged at all.

(BTW there's no 3.5x, 3.36 is the latest 3.x and 3.35 is in woody/sid)

| BTW -- any favorite Exim HOWTO links?

Not exactly an exim "howto" but rather an add-on thing :
    http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/software/exim/

| I'm replacing sendmail on a very small lan with just a handful of
| virtual domains.

If I assume that you already understand mail handling, here's my
recommendation :

1)  Install the debian package.  Run 'eximconfig' (which is a
    debian-ism, btw) to get an initial skeleton config for exim 3.x.
    Save a copy of that config, and save the init script.

2)  Obtain exim 4 (either build it yourself or get binaries from Marc
    or myself).  Run the 'convert4r4' script on your exim3 config to
    get a starting exim4 config.

3)  Read through the skeletal configs you have, they're rather well
    documented just in the comments, and read through spec.txt (for
    exim4).  If you already understand mail handling the core
    terminology won't be anything new and you'll get a good grasp of
    how exim handles things.

4)  Adjust the config as desired, in increments, testing as you go.
    Test thoroughly (use '-bt' to test address routing and '-bh' to
    simulate SMTP connections from arbitrary hosts).

If you have any difficulties or questions along the way, join
exim-users and you'll find a helpful crowd of exim experts (including
Philip himself, the author).

-D

--

An anxious heart weighs a man down,