Re: Gnome 1.4 problem

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 06:20:15PM -0000, Mikster wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I did an "apt-get install task-gnome-desktop gnome-utils gdm" and
| have gnome 1.4 up.

How do you have gnome 1.4 "up"?  Did you run 'gnome-session'.  If you
didn't, what did you run?  gnome-session (should) run the window
manager you've chosen and the panel (at the very least).  From the
panel you can then run applications (eg gnome-terminal).  You can also
specify applications to run at startup either in ~/.gnomerc (a shell
script) or via the gnome control center (gui).

| However, I am having problems with the desktop.
| When I left/right click nothing happens - I do not get a pop-up
| menu, etc. The desktop is blank and I am not able to add anything
| onto it either.
|
| Is there any reason why this is happening?

No running application is doing anything about those mouse clicks.  On
my system, 'sawfish' (my window manager) is the one that handles
clicks on the "root" window (the background).

HTH,
-D

--

The righteous hate what is false,
but the wicked bring shame and disgrace.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/