"id" and "id <account>" output not identical

Hello list,

I use "group add" to add a lot of groups and manually edit /etc/group
file to put some members in it. However, one of the group member can't
write file under a directory which is group-writeable and he is exactly
belong to that group.

So I use superuser to su to his account and type id to list all the
group names he belong to. It's very weird that it doesn't list the group
he belongs to. Then I type "id <account>" and the result shows exactly
the missing group.

Is it a bug or administrative problem? To my knowledge, the results of
"id" and "id <account>" should be identical, right?

Is there any possible reason?

--
Patrick Hsieh <pahud@pahud.net>