blew away /var/lib/apt/lists/ again

I am looking in /var/lib/apt/lists/
I see I have got
debian.linux.org.tw_debian_dists_woody_main_binary-i386_Packages
but uname -a says
Linux debian 2.4.18-k7 #1 Sun Apr 14 13:19:11 EST 2002 i686 unknown
I.e. I am a 686 not 386.  Is this bad?

Also I had 8 cdrom's worth of lists in /var/lib/apt/lists/.  I see
these got blown away.  It seems it is very easy to blow away things in
/var/lib/apt/lists/ .

I suppose I should make back ups of it.  But then I'm sure restoring
backups to it would mess something else up.

please tell me [on this board] under what conditions will one blow
away a file on /var/lib/apt/lists/?

I must not have cdroms on the sources.list if I go on the network [modem man
me] to "update"?

I must not have the mirror on the sources.list if I want something
from the CDs?

I use wwwoffle.  If I am offline I suppose I can this fool it into
thinking it [dselect] is getting its list.  If not it will blow away
files in /var/lib/apt/lists/?

Maybe with the wwwoffle passifier in the baby's mouth, file deletions
won't happen again after the first time?

mainly i am tired of having to read the 8 cd's over and over for it to
make its fragile indexes.

Why must it delete things from /var/lib/apt/lists/ if it is unable to
get a newer version?
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780