Re: Grub and win98 boot record

Scott Henson wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 21:47, Barry Michels wrote:
>
>> fdisk /mbr
>

> Tried that, all it does now is load grub, and when grub
> is in the mbr and I try to chain load (hd0,1) it just
> reloads grub.  I over wrote the actual win98 boot loader.

Yes, that's because at one point you accidently installed
grub to the boot sector of (hd0,1) or (hd0,0) (whichever
partition win98 is on) in addition to it being installed in
the mbr of (hd0). So doing fdisk /mbr has removed the grub
installed in the mbr but not that in (hd0,1) and as a result
the fdisk/DOS chainloader in the mbr is trying to chainload
the usual DOS/WIndows bootloader in (hd0,1) only to find
grub there. But when you installed grub in the mbr and
attempt to boot Windows the same thing happens, only that
you are not "reloading" grub but rather a second copy of
grub in a different location (it took me a good long time to
figure this one out when I did it).

As I wrote earlier, booting with a win98 boot disk and
running 'sys c:\' at the a:\ prompt should do it (it did for
me).

--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV