Re: Grub and win98 boot record

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 04:31 pm, Scott Henson wrote:
> While playing around with grub a few months ago I must have over wrote
> my boot record for win98.  Now the isnt the MBR on hda, this is the boot
> loader on hda1.  Does anyone know a way to recover this boot record, or
> am I going to have to reinstall windows(if this is the only option its
> not worth it and Im just going to reformat the partition.) I would
> really like to know if there is a way to restore the Win98 boot loader.
> Thanks

i have no idea how to sort this out using grub, but, if you used lilo, it
could be done like this:

first off, make sure you have a linux boot floppy. you can make one with
mkboot. next, you need to have a dos boot disk. any version from 3.3 on will
do, even a windon't install floppy, whatever gets you to an a: prompt. boot
into dos and cd into c:. from there, run fdisk/mbr. then, pull the dos floppy
and boot into linux. run lilo, reboot, and you're home.

ben