Re: Grub and win98 boot record

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 20:16, Greg C. Madden wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 15:31, Scott Henson wrote:
> > While playing around with grub a few months ago I must have over wrote
> > my boot record for win98.  Now the isnt the MBR on hda, this is the boot
> > loader on hda1.  Does anyone know a way to recover this boot record, or
> > am I going to have to reinstall windows(if this is the only option its
> > not worth it and Im just going to reformat the partition.) I would
> > really like to know if there is a way to restore the Win98 boot loader.
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > -Peace kid
> >   Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu
>
> I know 'lilo' has an un-install switch (lilo -U)which will replace the
> previous contents of whatever boot sector/partition was being used,
> maybe grub has the same.
>
> I don't do much Windows but I thought W9X always slammed hda with its
> boot loader, in which case, if you have a DOS boot disc 'fdisk /mbr'
> will give up your W98 boot loader, no more Grub though.
I tried this, but all it does now is start grub(Im still debating if
this isnt really an improvement)  I over wrote the actual boot loader
that load windows.  This is what is contained in the boot record of
hda1.  Any other ideas?

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."