CUPS: default printers, and Canon drivers

Hello,

I have set up two printers in CUPS, both using the same parallel port...
because I don't always have the same printer connected. This proves to
be a mess, a struggle practically every time I try to print something
that uses lpr. (E.g. KDE stuff works better, iirc, because you select
spefically which printer you want.) While this can be done by lpr, I
want to be able to use the default printer.

I have set up the default printer in the config file, and upon
restarting CUPS, I see lpstat -s outputs the correct printer as default
printer. But then after a while, I often see that the default printer
has changed to the other one! Any ideas how or why this happens? Maybe I
must just disable the second and be done with it. :(

The second thing is I want to set up CUPS to print to a Canon FAX B-340
printer. The docs for the printer says I can use BJ-200 series drivers.
I have the gimp-print drivers, these contain BJC 210, BJC 240, and BJC
250 drivers. Can I use one of these (which?), or where can I find
something I can use, or where should I ask this kind of question? (Does
CUPS have some support mailing list?)

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe

ps. Please CC as well, thanks.