Re: Minimum HD space - one more tip.

Good advise, thanks.

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 10:02:31AM -0700, Heather Stern wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 04:04:11PM -0600, Dave Price wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 08:31:12AM -0700, Jay wrote:

> But just for comparison I have a pretty much droppable-in kit of woody
> that's 150 MB - meaning, I like to put it in 200 MB "shaved off the end"
> partitions - which is not GUI on its own, but enough to run a laptop
> comfortably otherwise.

I would like to see a copy of that, or an .iso if you have one,  I have
a mini woody net-inst, but there is always followup when installing
that.

> make sure you have some room in var since .deb's get fetched to
> /var/cache/apt/archives during install or upgrade phases.  I just
> mention this because since you're running on tight space you may want to
> shave var a bit - you don't need months worth of logs, right?  You
> certainly can, but do leave room for a couple of chubby packages,
> and note that you may have to pick packages to install two to five at a
> time like fruits and berries rather than take the "easy route" and type
> apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

When I shoe-horned woody onto a _tiny_ 486 laptop that I use as a
firewall, I learned the value of:

apt-cache clean (purge all those .debs after you have installed 'em)

aloha,
dave