Re: Configuring a NIC

Debian's network configuration is different from Redhat's. A book
would need to be Debian-specific to help you set up the card at boot.

The driver should be included in the kernel source. If you've compiled
your own kernel, it needs to be built in or compiled as a module and
inserted. (modprobe is a user-friendly way to insert) If you're using
the stock kernel, look in '/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/'.
If that directory has a file called 'pcnet32.o', you should be able to
modprobe it with 'modprobe pcnet32'. Generally, if you're having trouble
with the card, you should do what you were doing; try to get it up
yourself with the individual commands before you set it up in the boot
scripts.
--
Nick